Pet tech is a quickly growing industry and for good reason. While some gadgets are a bit excessive and more of a novelty than anything, some products can really make the responsibility of pet ownership easier. One such product is a pet camera for monitoring pets while you are away.
These aren’t your simple wi-fi surveillance camera but rather a device specifically made with pets in mind. If you’re in the market for a cam setup for supervising your pets while you are away, these 3 are some of the current best on the market.
Contents (Jump to)
- 1 Petzi Wi-Fi Cam and Treat Dispenser
- 2 Pawbo Wi-Fi Pet Treat Cam
- 3 PetChatz HD Greet & Treat Videophone
- 4 Wrapping Up
Petzi Wi-Fi Cam and Treat Dispenser
The Petzi camera isn’t your typical wi-fi compatible pet cam. Petzila took it a step further by adding a build in treat dispenser that you can control from your smartphone.
For those who want more than just a camera, the Petzi will allow you to actually interact with your pet while you are away from home. You can read my full review here, but the following are some highlights of my review:
Specs and Features
- Interact through See, Speak, Snap and Treat
- Check-in via smartphone or tablet
- Wide angled camera lens with night vision
- High-quality audio
- Universel treat launcher compatible with most treats under 1″
- Petzi EZ-PZ setup and simple interface
- Numerous wall mounting options
- Ability to share videos or pictures socially
- Weighs 3.6 lbs and is roughly 13.5″ x 7.5″ x 4.5″ in size
- Retails for $169.99 ( check here for discounts)
- Durable and attractive case
- Good quality audio and video
- Excellent customer service
- Camera turns on only with app access
- Secure 128-bit encryption protects your privacy
Core Functions of the Petzi
The Petzi focuses on 4 different interactions – See (video), Speak (audio), Snap (take photo), and Treat (launch treats). The video quality is fairly good at 30fps of 720p HD streaming.
Naturally, if your internet is slow then this can affect camera quality. The audio is quite good compared to most surveillance camera audio options. There is only one-way audio- meaning you can speak to your pet but you won’t be able to hear them.
Aside from the camera itself, Petzi also comes with a 6ft AC power cord, rubber feet and a mounting kit, manual and treat samples. Setting up the device is super easy- simply fill with treats, download the Petzi app, create a profile, pair with wi-fi and you’re ready to go.
The Petzi camera is a bit less expensive than other pet cameras and a great choice for those who just want the basics of interactive pet “surveillance”. Whether you’ve had bad experiences with other pet cameras in the past or are looking for an easy wi-fi camera for the first time, the Petzi is one of the best.
You can find the Petzi cam online and through online or in-store retailers. I purchased mine through this listing for a good price.
Pawbo Wi-Fi Pet Treat Cam
A treat dispensing camera is awesome enough, but what if you could also play a game with your cat or dog while away? The Pawbo not only allows you to speak with your pet (and listen!) and give them a snack, but also play a game with a laser pointer.
Specs and Features
- 720p live streaming with a 110 degree wide-angle camera lens
- Ability to take pictures
- Video directly downloaded to Dropbox for storage
- Weighs 1lb and is about 8″ x 4.5″ x 4.5″ in size
- Includes a built-in treat dispensing system
- Has a built-in red laser for playing with pet
- Various sound effects to keep your pet entertained
- Used with the free Pawbo app which is secure and compatible with majority of smartphones and tablets
- Retails for $199 (check here for discounts)
- Two way audio- talk to your dog and hear them
- Wider angle viewing that typical cameras
- Interactive laser dot game
- Ability to adjust video quality
- Excellent compatibility with social media
How the Pawbo Works
The Pawbo is quite a sleek looking device that is much slimmer than most treat dispensing types of cameras. It is available in white or pink, though the former seems to be easier to find.
The device has a removeable treat dispensing tray to make cleaning easy. The treat dispenser is a bit smaller than others, like the Petzi, so it is best used for very small treats that are round in shape.
A great features of this camera is the interactive laser light. Many cats, and some dogs, love to chase a laser light and being able to play a quick game with your pet provides some socialization when they are home alone.
The audio is really impressive on this camera and being able to hear your dog or cat can be beneficial for owners concerned about social anxiety issues.
The Pawbo camera comes with a 110/240 AC power cord and a quick guide to get you started. Most people find setup to be super simple, even across a variety of platforms (iOS and android).
The camera quality is very nice and being able to actually turn down quality is a nifty feature for when you are in bad reception or have limited data on your phone/tablet.
If you want to invest in a quality camera that offers treats as well as a built-in game, you’re going to love the Pawbo. For the latest pricing and deals, check here.
PetChatz HD Greet & Treat Videophone
Specs and Features
- Two way video and audio
- HD video quality performs well in low lighting
- Built-in treat dispenser for use with PetChatz treats
- Built-in aromatherapy scent dispenser for calming effect
- Customized ringtone alerts pet to your call
- Mounts on wall directly into outlet
- Retails for $379 (see here for discounts)
- Works with PetChatz PawCall
- Camera access from smartphone, tablet or online on computer
- Wi-fi and Bluetooth compatible
- Sound and motion detection alerts
- Your pet can see you on camera
How the PetChatz System Works
The PetChatz camera is incredible to say the least. It is loaded with features that really set it apart from the competition. This unit has an HD camera that allows you to see your pet and for your pet to see you.
Scientists estimate roughly half of call dogs and cats will look at a television screen so if you pet seems to watch TV, this is a great way to improve interaction with this device. Just like the camera, audio is dual as well.
Aside from having a treat dispenser, a common feature of pet cameras, this model also has a scent dispenser. All you need to do is add an essential oil (either PetChatz brand or another pet-safe brand) or any other scent to a special pad which you put into the device.
When you call in to see your pet, this scent will be released while you talk. If your dog experiences separation anxiety, using a calming oil or even a little bit of the perfume/cologne you wear regularly can really help.
Finally, to really maximum the fun of this device you should also get the PetChatz PetCall. The PetCall device is literally a way for your pet to call you. You can train your dog to press the button when they would like to contact you.
You will get an alert and can turn on the camera so you and your pet can see each other. This additional PetCall device retails for $99.99 and also had little built in light games for your pet.
The PetChatz camera comes with the cam unit, PetChatz treats, PetChatz Scentz pads, sample of Petchatz essential oil in Calm scent and instruction manual.
It may be more expensive than other pet cameras but it’s a lifesaver for those with pets who have separation anxiety issues or for owners that often go on trips but want to see what their pet is up to at home. For the best pricing, you can see this listing.
Pet cameras are really changing the way pet owners can monitor their pets at home. While some pet tech gadgets are more of a luxury than anything, these three pet cameras can really be an incredible tool for ensuring your pet is not only content at home but also safe.