Each Robotic Vacuum claims they’re the best and that they provide the most thorough clean. Which is best? Roomba 890 vs 980. Read here!
Two of the most well-known brands in the robot vacuum space are iRobot Roomba and Ecovacs Deebot. How are the two brands differ from each other and which one is better?
Special Pricing Update: In case you missed it, some of the robovacs mentioned in this article are on sale right now. I’ve listed the top deals below:
- Roomba 690: This is currently the top deal right now, available for 20% off via Amazon here.
- Roomba 960: This higher end Roomba is currently available for a RECORD 24% off via Amazon here.
- Roomba 980: This top of the line robot is currently discounted for a RECORD 22% off via Amazon here.
- Roomba 890: This mid-range Roomab is available for the first time for 10% off at this listing here.
- Deebot M81 Pro: This is an exclusive deal for AllHomeRobotics. Use this link here to save 41% off today.
- Deebot N78: You can currently save with a coupon for $40 off at this listing TODAY only.
- Deebot Slim: The entry-level Deebot Slim is available here for 40% off today.
For a full list of ALL robot sales and discounts, you can see this Holiday deals tracker.
Contents (Jump to)
- 1 Ecovacs Deebot
- 2 Current Deebot models
- 3 Pricing range of currently available Deebots
- 4 iRobot Roomba
- 5 Features of Roombas
- 6 Other features shared by the latest Roomba models
- 7 Comparing Ecovacs Deebot and iRobot Roomba
- 8 Where the Roomba 980 wins
- 9 Where the Deebot R95 wins
Ecovacs is a Chinese company that was initially involved in manufacturing equipment for vacuum cleaners. In 2007, the company rebranded to Ecovacs Robotics and introduced its first Deebot series to the world.
The company manufactures three main lines of robots:
Current Deebot models
Ecovacs Deebot currently has 17 different floor cleaning robots available on its site. And these robots are hinged on a combination of any of these six
Smart Navi. Smart Navi scans your entire floor, helping the Deebot 95 and Deebot 98 map out the most efficient cleaning path. The Deebot 95 and Deebot 98 will use this visual map to ensure that it covers most of the area while going about its back and forth cleaning pattern.
Two basic technologies are involved: simultaneous localization and mapping, and laser distance sensors.
Other Deebots have the Smart Motion Navigation technology, which can mimic human cleaning movements. This helps the robot vacuum move like you would when you clean the floors.
App Control. There are several Deebot models that feature app control. Using the Ecovacs app, you can create schedules for your Deebot, choose a cleaning mode, and monitor if the Deebot has completed cleaning or not.
You can also use the mobile app to control your robot vacuum from anywhere in the world. The Deebot models that feature app control include M80 Pro, M81 Pro, M86, M88, N79, R98, R95, Slim 2, and Mini 2.
For models that do not have app control, Ecovacs has included a physical remote control.
Voice Report. The Deebot R98 and Deebot R95 come with voice reports, where the robots tell you when they have finished cleaning, whether they are still working, or whether there are some things that need your attention.
Automatic Charging. Deebot robot vacuums are able to find their way back to the charging dock when the battery runs low.
Mopping capabilities. Some models come with an optional mop, so that they could sweep, vacuum and mop all at the same time. If you want the optional mop for your floors, choose from the following models:
- Deebot M81 Pro
- Deebot M86
- Deebot M88
- Deebot R98
- Deebot R95
- Deebot Slim
- Deebot Slim 2
- Deebot Mini
- Deebot Mini 2
Tangle-free suction. For those who have pets at home, Deebot has some models that feature tangle-free suction, where there is no main brush used and sweeping is done by the side brushes up front.
Without the main brush and with a direct suction inlet, these Deebots are able to suck in more pet hair, dirt, and dust without you having to maintain the brushes and pick the entangled hair by hand.
The models featuring tangle-free suction includes the Deebot M81 Pro, Deebot Mini, Deebot Mini 2, Deebot N78, Deebot Slim, and Deebot Slim 2.
Aside from the featured technologies, there is also a range of colors available for the different Deebots. This is probably a minor difference, but those who like a touch of color in their lives would surely appreciate the variety of colors offered by Deebot robot vacuums.
Depending on the model, Deebots are available in the following colors:
- Dark Grey
- Mint Green
- Light Green
Sometimes, people choose their vacuum cleaners depending on the type of floors they have at home. While Deebots can easily clean any floor type, you might want to check which models are ideal for your floors.
|Wood Floor||Ceramic Tile||Carpet||Low File Carpet||Bare Floor|
|Deebot M80 Pro||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Deebot M81 Pro||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Deebot Mini 2||No||No||No||No||Yes|
|Deebot Slim 2||No||No||No||No||Yes|
Pricing range of currently available Deebots
Ecovacs sells their robot vacuums on Amazon. Prices for Deebots range from below $200 to more than $500. Pricing for selected Deebots are as follows:
Roomba is from iRobot, an American company that has been manufacturing consumer electronics and robots since 1990. The company currently has several product lines, including Roomba vacuum cleaners, Brava floor moppers, Create programmable robots, and Mirra pool cleaners.
It came out with the first Roomba in 2002. In the 15 years that have passed, the company has released seven generation series of Roombas:
- Original Series
- 400 and Discovery Series
- 500 and Professional Series
- 600 Series
- 700 Series
- 800 Series
- 900 Series
Currently available models
There are currently five models available on their Web site:
With the exception of the Roomba 614, all of these available are Wi-Fi connected and compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The Roomba 614 is iRobot’s way to go back to the basics and provide customers with a more affordable robot vacuum.
Features of Roombas
Roombas often share the same features. Most models are round, measuring around 13.8 inches in diameter and standing around 3.6 inches high. That means that a Roomba can easily go under your furniture to clean the dust and debris hidden there.
Cleaning technology. Earlier Roomba models use iAdapt navigation. This uses both sensors and software to help your Roomba clean better.
The sensors help prevent your Roomba from falling off stairs and sharp drops, find wall edges and go along your walls to clean them, and adjust automatically depending on the floor type it is cleaning.
Meanwhile, the Series 900 robots have an updated navigation technology, the iAdapt 2.0. The iAdapt 2.0 technology has a visual localization camera that helps the Roomba 980 and Roomba 960 create a map of your floor so that they could easily find their way around.
Most of the more advanced Roombas (from Series 700 onwards) use optical and acoustic sensors to detect dirt. This means that these robots can give dirtier areas more attention.
3-stage vacuuming system. Roombas use three different components to help clean your floors. The main counter-rotating brush or the debris extractors for later models will help break down and pick up dust, dirt, dander, and debris off your floor.
Because Roombas have a round shape, they rely on the spinning side brushes to clean the wall edges and also sweep more dirt into the way of the suction. Roombas also have a powerful vacuum that will pull hair and dirt off the brushes or the debris extractor and send them into the bin.
Vacuuming technology. Roombas use three different vacuuming technologies:
- AeroVac (Series 600 and earlier). Uses optimized airflow to pick hair and dirt off the brushes.
- AeroVac 2 (Series 700). Has a more powerful motor than the one used in the Aerovac system. It also has a clog-resistant design that makes it more efficient.
- AeroForce (Series 800 onwards). Instead of using counter-rotating brushes, the Aeroforce system uses debris extractors, which break down the debris without the use of bristles. Without bristles, there is no chance for hair to get tangled. It is said that Aeroforce delivers five times more powerful vacuum than both AeroVac and Aerovac 2.
Another difference between AeroVac, Aerovac 2, and Aeroforce is that Aeroforce uses AeroForce high-efficiency filters, which can trap 99% of all particles, pollens, and allergens that are 10 microns or smaller.
Roombas make use of navigation control devices that help keep them inside a particular room you want to clean, or that protect things inside a room being cleaned. There are three types of navigation control devices:
Each Roomba model comes with one or more of the following navigation control devices:
- Virtual walls give out an infrared light that a Roomba will not go over. This stops a Roomba from going outside the room it is cleaning or bars it from entering a room.
- Virtual wall lighthouses are like virtual walls but can also work in lighthouse mode, which would send a Roomba to the next room after it is done a cleaning.
- Dual mode virtual wall barriers act like virtual walls. However, you can also use them as a halo that protects a specific area within the room. For instance, you do not have to pick up your pet’s dog bowl because, with the dual-mode virtual wall barrier, your Roomba will not go near it.
|Virtual wall lighthouses||0||0||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Dual mode virtual wall barriers||2||1||1||0||0||1||0||0||1||0||0|
Currently available Roombas range from $300 to $900. The Roomba 614 costs $300 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) , the Roomba 690 sells for $375 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here), and the Roomba 890 costs $500 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here).
The two most expensive models are the Roomba 960, which retails for $700 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here) and the Roomba 980 for $900 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here).
- Set up different schedules for your Roomba. This allows you to tell your Roomba to start vacuuming even when you are not around.
- Automatic recharging. When a Roomba’s battery gets depleted, it will find its way back to its charging dock to recharge.
- Manual or forced docking. Just push the big HOME button on any Roomba model and it will go back to the dock.
- Spot cleaning. This feature will tell your Roomba to make several passes on dirtier areas of your floor. It will clean smaller areas of around three feet in diameter.
- Carrying handle. All Roomba models come with a carrying handle, making it easy for you to move your robot vacuum around from room to room.
- 1-year limited warranty. All Roomba models are covered by a one-year limited warranty. The battery is covered by a six-month warranty.
- Full bin indicator (Series 700 onwards).
Comparing Ecovacs Deebot and iRobot Roomba
Ecovacs have made sure that its Deebot line covers a lot of things. It has robot vacuums that are perfect for carpets, tiled floors, wooden floors, and others. It has models that can mop as well as sweep floors. It even has a range of colors.
On the other hand, iRobot has stuck to dark colors for its Roombas. iRobot has been consistent in making its robot vacuums very powerful and efficient that they can go from tiled floors, wooden floors, and carpets without any hitches.
Nevertheless, both brands have made sure that the technologies they use – from navigation to mapping, to vacuuming – evolve.
Both the Deebot and the Roomba now have models that use visual localization mapping, as well as Wi-Fi connectivity for remote control using their respective mobile app and Amazon Alexa compatibility.
The Ecovacs Deebot has consistently come out with more affordable robot vacuums. If you compare a Deebot and a Roomba with similar features set, the Deebot would no doubt come out cheaper. Plus, iRobot does not have a Roomba that could mop your floors.
Comparing the flagship robots
Perhaps the best way to illustrate the difference between Roombas and Deebots is to look at their flagship products: the Roomba 980 and the Deebot R95.
Both use simultaneous localization and mapping technology to scan your floors and create a map that helps it cover more areas. Both brands also use side brushes and a powerful vacuum motor.
However, with the Deebot R95, you have the option to use the main brush or direct suction to sweep floors. This means that the R95 is more flexible than the Roomba 980.
You can use the main brush to effectively clean carpets, and then use direct suction to pick up pet hairs without worrying about tangles.
Other features that are found on both include the use of lithium-ion batteries, remote control capability using the mobile app, easy scheduling feature, automatic recharging when the battery runs low, and the ability to automatically resume cleaning after charging.
You can also use voice commands to control these robot vacuums.
|Model||Roomba 980||Deebot R95|
|Price||$900 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)||$439.99 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)|
|Navigation technology||iAdapt 2.0||Smart NAVI|
|Vacuuming technology||Debris extractor||Direct suction or main brush|
|Optional mopping feature||No||Yes|
|Specify how many passes are made||Yes||No|
|Resume cleaning automatically after charging||Yes||Yes|
|Specify how many passes are made||Yes||No|
|Resume cleaning automatically after charging||Yes||Yes|
|Navigation control||Dual virtual wall barriers||Virtual boundaries|
|Area cleaning mode||No||Yes|
|Carpet boost and edge cleaning mode||Yes||No|
|Full bin indicator||Yes||No|
|Remote control||Mobile app||Mobile app|
Where the Roomba 980 wins
Some of the features that you can find on the Roomba 980 but not on the Deebot R85 include being able to set how many passes are made by the robot vacuum. It is also better with carpets and edges with a special cleaning mode dedicated to each.
It also has a full bin indicator that tells you when it is time to empty the dustbin. Furthermore, the Roomba 980 includes a carrying handle.
Where the Deebot R95 wins
If your floors need mopping, the Roomba 980 cannot help you with that, but the Deebot D95 can. What’s more, it is very easy to specify boundaries with the Deebot R95. After it scans your floors, it will send the map to the mobile app. You can just draw the boundaries on this map using your mobile app.
This also makes it possible for you to choose area cleaning mode, where you just draw the area to be cleaned on the mobile app’s map. However, the biggest benefit of buying a Deebot R95 is the price. The R95 is less than half the price of Roomba.