For some people, the thought of mowing their lawns can bring their mood down. It can easily mean hours of backbreaking and monotonous work under the intense heat of the sun. That is because mowing might be hard to do when it is dark or when neighbors are most likely to complain about the noise.
These are the reasons why robot mowers are a godsend. Robot mowers such as the McCulloch ROB 1000 helps you save time by doing the mowing for you. Let ROB 1000 mow the lawn while you read a book or enjoy a long conversation with friends.
It is quiet enough to mow your lawn at night and compared to a sit-down mower, it is much more affordable.
Contents (Jump to)
The McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower’s wide range of features is sure to impress you. The ROB 1000 is:
- A workhorse. You can set the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower to do its job continuously. Even in the rain, or under the intense heat of the sun. Even for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The only time it would stop mowing is when it needs to recharge. Also, the ROB 1000 mower can easily mow a lawn as large as 1,000 square meters. The ROB 1000 can handle sloping gardens, and you can cut inclines of up to 25%.
- The McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower works hard but you probably cannot hear it. The ROB emits only 59 decibels of sound, which makes ideal for mowing even at night.
- Worried about somebody stealing your robot mower? Well, put those worries out of your mind. The ROB 1000 has lift and tilt sensors that allow it to detect if it is being lifted. Once it does, it will sound a loud alarm that will scare away would-be thieves. To turn off the alarm, you would need to enter the PIN code that you use to change the robot mower’s settings. You would also need to key in the PIN code to start the ROB 1000, making it virtually unusable unless you know the code.
- McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower’s tilt sensors will stop the blades from rotating if the robot mower is flipped over or tilted. This helps you keep your pets, small kids, and other people safe.
- The McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower has dimensions of 17.32 inches wide by 23.23 inches long, and it is only 10.24 inches high. This means that you will find it easier to store than regular lawnmowers. You do not need to have a separate shed for your lawnmower.
- Fast-charging. The ROB 1000 uses a lithium-ion battery that fully recharges in approximately 50 minutes.
- The ROB 1000 can work night or day, and because it is waterproof, it can mow your lawn even when it is raining.
|Working area capacity||1000 m² +/-20%|
|Information panel||LCD display with settings menu|
|Charging time||50 minutes|
|Cutting height||20 – 50 mm|
|Cutting width||17 cm|
|Dimensions, LxWxH||23.23 x 17.32 x 10.24 inches|
|Guaranteed sound level||59 dB(A)|
|Safety and security features|
What you would like about the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower
You will certainly love being able to lounge outdoors during the day and just leave the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower to mow at night. Take back your lawns during the day, play with the kids, have some fun, and still keep the grass beautiful and healthy.
You can pretty much leave the ROB 1000 alone once you have the boundary wire installed. It will work on its own and will return to the charging dock when it finishes mowing your lawn, or when the battery juice runs low.
Another thing that you would love is the price. Robot mowers that cover the same area as the McCulloch ROB 1000 usually cost much more than the $1,300 (check this listing for the latest live prices) price tag of the ROB 1000.
Other robot vacuums that can cover 1,000 sq. m. of space include the Husqvarna Automower 315, which retails for $2,000.
The biggest benefit that you get from the McCulloch ROB 1000 robotic mower is the fact that it saves you a lot of time. You no longer have to manually mow the lawn yourself because you can just leave it be. You do not even have to be home; just set it to work or let it follow the set schedule.
Areas for improvement
First things first: the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower needs you to have a boundary wire to enclose your lawn. If you do not have this, the ROB 1000 will soon leave your lawn onto the street or into your neighbor’s lawn. Each package comes with 200 meters of boundary wire.
If you need more, you would need to buy extra wire. You can get around 150 meters of extra boundary wire for around $115 (check this listing for the latest live prices).
This means that the ROB 1000 might come with additional costs from the additional boundary wire if you need it.
The thing with the McCulloch ROB 1000 is that you really need to plan ahead when it comes to setting up the boundary wire. For instance, you might want it out of your kids’ play area or away from the flower beds.
The ROB 1000 may have obstacle sensors, but it will not be able to detect small things left on the grass, so it may destroy your kids’ favorite small toys in the process of mowing your lawn.
The ROB 1000 does not have a companion mobile app. That means that you would need to do the scheduling on the lawnmower itself. You also cannot operate the ROB 1000 remotely, nor can you see status reports for it.
The ROB 1000 is also quite heavy at 7 kilograms. You would probably not mind because you will not need to lift it or carry it around too much and, as mentioned above, it pretty much works on its own. However, it can damage young grass when it rains because the dirt is wet and loose.
Lastly, the ROB 1000 uses a random pattern to cut your grass. The company claims that this random pattern is the reason why there are no visible tracks on your lawn. But it does make you wonder if there are spots it misses.
Alternatives to the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower
Most of the things that could make the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower better are not really deal-breakers.
You should still consider this brand if you want to have a mower that works autonomously, saves you time, and allows to focus on the finer things in life. However, there are alternatives out there that give you some of the things that the ROB 1000 does not.
If you want to be able to remotely control your robot mower using a mobile app on your smartphone, you can get the Husqvarna Automower 450X. It might be more expensive than the ROB 1000 at $3,500, but you can set the schedules while you are enjoying your morning tea inside your home.
You can also start, stop, or pause your robot mower. It can also cover larger areas of more than 5,000 sq. m. Finding this too expensive?
Then you might want to check out the Robomow RC308 ProX ,which sells for around $1,900, or the Robomow RC304u, which retails for around $1,550.
If you have a smaller lawn, you might not need the ROB 1000. McCulloch has the ROB 600 Robot Mower, which delivers pretty much the same features as the ROB 1000 but can only cover anywhere from 480 sq. m. to 720 sq. m.
The ROB 600 retails for only $870. For even smaller lawns, you can consider either the Robomow Rx20u or the Rx12u, which retails for around $800 to a little more than $1,000. Both of these Robomow models come with a mobile app.
Then there are people who might hate having to put up boundary wires. The LawnBott LB1200 Spyder Robotic Mower is perfect for them. There are also those people whose lawns feature very high slopes.
The ROB 1000 can only handle slopes of up to 25%. If you have a much steeper lawn than that, do consider the 5. Honda Miimo 510, which can handle slopes of up to 45%.
Final recommendation on the McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower
The McCulloch ROB 1000 Robot Mower is a highly capable robot mower with features most people are looking for in a robot mower. There are a few features that you might miss here, such as a companion mobile app or remote control, and true enough, there are alternatives you can consider.
However, you will find that these alternatives are much more expensive or cover a smaller area than the ROB 1000. The ROB 1000 remains to be the perfect balance in terms of price and coverage area.