Each robot vacuum cleaner comes with an arsenal of power and features to help clean up pet hair along with dust, dirt, and other allergens around the house.
You’ll want to pay close attention to the features of each vacuum cleaner if you’re serious about purchasing a pet-oriented robot vacuum cleaner as the XV Signature and Roomba 880 have a handful of differences.
On the other hand, if you’re simply looking for a capable and powerful robot vacuum cleaner to keep your house clean, both models are safe bets.
There are a variety of pros and cons to consider for each model, many of which are listed below.
Contents (Jump to)
- 1 Main Differences Between Neato Signature Pro vs Roomba 880
- 2 Overview of of the Neato XV vs Roomba 880
- 3 Neato XV Signature Pro
- 4 Roomba 880
- 5 Comparing the Pros and Cons
- 6 Neato XV Signature Pro
- 7 Neato Signature Pro Cons
- 8 iRobot Roomba 880 Pros
- 9 Roomba 880 Cons
- 10 Comparison Table: Neato XV Signature Pro vs Roomba 880
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 12 Should I Buy Now or Wait?
- 13 Bottom Line
Main Differences Between Neato Signature Pro vs Roomba 880
The Main Differences Between Neato Signature Pro vs Roomba 880 are:
- Neato Signature Pro comes with a laser-guided technology, whereas Roomba 880 comes with an iAdapt multi-room navigation technology.
- Neato Signature Pro has two high-performance filters, whereas Roomba 880 has a HEPA-style filter.
- Neato Signature Pro features a low profile, whereas Roomba 880 comes with Virtual Wall Lighthouse beacons.
- Neato Signature Pro does multi-room and spot cleanings, whereas Roomba 880 has an AeroForce Performance Cleaning System.
Overview of of the Neato XV vs Roomba 880
Neato XV Signature Pro
- Targeting Pet Owners: It’s marketed as a pet-oriented robot vacuum cleaner, and the Neato XV Signature Pro delivers. The robot vacuum cleaner comes with a combo brush that’s specifically designed to pick up pet hair. As an added bonus, the Pro’s handy blade and brush system delivers superior performance on nearly any floor type without compromising its ability to scoop up pet hair.
- High Performance Filters: The Neato has two high-performance filters to minimize dust and allergens and features an innovative D-shaped aerodynamic design that enables maximum pickup along the floor, corners, and tough-to-reach edges.
- Laser Guided Mapping: Another distinguishing characteristic is laser-guided technology. Before the XV Signature Pro heads off to clean, it scans and maps the room then starts cleaning accordingly. Components such as a larger brush and dirt bin help the Neato pick up more dirt and debris than its rounder counterparts.
- Advanced Navigation: There’s also no shortage of features and performance-oriented components when it comes to the iRobot Roomba 880. This pet and allergy-oriented robot vacuum cleaner boasts impressive iAdapt multi-room navigation technology with several sensors to help guide and navigate it around any home.
- Smart RF Barriers: Another feature is Virtual Wall Lighthouse beacons, which allow the Roomba 880 to conduct room-to-room cleaning in up to three rooms per session.
- Patented 3-Stage Cleaning: A three-stage cleaning system promises enhanced cleaning performance.
- Less Maintenance: Pet owners will particularly appreciate the tangle-free extractors that help keep hair and debris clogs at bay.
- High Performance Filters: The Roomba 880 has a HEPA-style filter for trapping even the smallest dirt and dust particles as well as other allergens that can linger around the home.
Key Features – Head to Head Comparison
The Neato XV Signature Pro (read full review) and the iRobot Roomba 880 (read full review) are packed with features. While some of the features are similar, others are different and can help set the vacuum cleaners apart.
If you’re a pet owner (or allergy sufferer) you’ll want to pay close attention to the cleaning properties of each vacuum cleaner. Here are some key features of
Performance: The Neato XV Signature Pro is outfitted with a combo brush specifically designed to pick up pet hair. It also has a larger filter, brush, and dirt bin to sweep up and hold more pet hair than ever before.
You won’t have to worry about the Neato getting stuck on certain floor surfaces as the brush is designed to work on all floor types.
The main feature of the iRobot Roomba 880 is its AeroForce Performance Cleaning System. The system relies on three distinct technologies for optimal vacuum suction and debris extraction.
The AeroForce system features dual tangle-free extractors that pick up plenty of dirt and debris without hair tangles. There’s also a sealed channel for a more concentrated airflow to draw in more debris.
Navigation: A LaserSmart mapping and navigation technology ensures that the Neato XV Signature Pro will plan out and methodically clean each room based on what it senses in terms of obstacles and floor layout.
If it does detect one or more objects in its path, the Neato will determine the most efficient path for each room.
The iRobot Roomba 880 relies on iAdapt Responsive Navigation Technology, which is comprised of an array of sensors and software. The result is that the Roomba easily finds dirt and tackles the trickiest spots for more
Another highlight is wall-following technology that enables the Roomba to run along the wall edges, grabbing up dirt and dust in the trickiest spots.
Cleaning and charging: The Neato XV Signature Pro does multi-room and spot cleanings on demand. Once it’s done, the Neato automatically goes back to its charge base.
If the job wasn’t completed before Neato left to recharge its battery, the robot vacuum cleaner will return and finish up the rest of the task. The Neato is designed to automatically move from one room to the next as it cleans.
A convenient Virtual Wall Lighthouse technology keeps the Roomba 880 in one room until it’s entirely finished vacuuming then directs it to move on to the next room. Another advantage of this technology is that it can keep the Roomba out of off-limit areas.
The Roomba automatically heads back to its base to recharge. The Roomba 880 performs guided cleaning in up to three rooms per session.
Comparing the Pros and Cons
Neato XV Signature Pro
1. Pro – Good Value: Some of the Neato’s biggest perks are its overall excellent cleaning power and relatively low price tag.
- Pro – Built for Pets: While the XV Signature Pro will do a great job cleaning any household, it really shines in homes with pets, allergy sufferers, or both.
- Pro – D Shaped Design: When compared to other robot vacuum cleaners on the market, it’s clear that the Neato family looks quite different from most competitors. It’s the characteristic D-shape design that lets the XV Signature Pro and other Neatos work their way deep into walls and corners to really sweep out hidden dust and dirt.
- Pro – Low Clearance: The vacuum cleaner’s low-profile design lets it fit under beds and other pieces of furniture with ease.
Neato Signature Pro Cons
1. Con – No Bells and Whistles: If you’re looking for a robot vacuum cleaner that’s jam-packed with features, the Neato XV Signature Pro will be a bit of
While it certainly comes with a handful of features, other robot vacuum cleaners have more to offer. For example, the Neato doesn’t have cliff detection technology to keep it from falling downstairs.
- Con – Slower Than the 880: Some users also find that the Neato is a bit slow, although the same can be said for just about any robot vacuum cleaner currently on the market, at least in my experience. Even so, the Signature Pro takes a bit longer than the 880 to recognize, process and adjust to objects. Each generation speeds up a bit and overall it still beats vacuuming yourself.
iRobot Roomba 880 Pros
1. Pro – Plenty of Extra Features: Unlike the Neato XV Signature Pro, the iRobot Roomba 880 stands out for its generous amount of features. One of the most helpful features is cliff detection technology, which keeps the robot vacuum cleaner from taking a tumble down stairs.
- Pro – Smart Virtual Lighthouses: Then there’s the Virtual Wall Lighthouse, which ensures that the Roomba stays in one room until it’s completely finished cleaning. While this virtual wall technology can help direct Roomba to the next room for cleaning, it can also keep the Roomba from venturing into off-limit areas.
- Pro – Light Touch Smart Bumper: There’s also Light-Touch Bumper Technology to help the Roomba 880 distinguish between soft and hard barriers. The result is a robot vacuum cleaner that can easily sneak under objects such as bed and couch skirts.
Roomba 880 Cons
1. Almost 2x Expensive than the Signature Pro: The iRobot Roomba 880 is one of the pricier robot vacuum cleaners currently available. For many consumers, it can be hard to justify the higher price tag, especially when competing models offer similar performance for less.
If you’re a fan of features and you want a vacuum cleaner with the latest technology, however, then it’s worth investing in the iRobot Roomba 880.
Comparison Table: Neato XV Signature Pro vs Roomba 880
It can be easier to distinguish between the Neato XV Signature Pro and the iRobot Roomba 880 when they are compared side-by-side.
Aside from price, it helps to see components such as navigation technology, filters and brushes, and more. This comparison can help you determine which robot vacuum cleaner is a better fit for your lifestyle and budget.
|Neato XV Signature Pro||iRobot Roomba 880|
|Price||(For the latest prices and discounts, check here)||(For the latest prices and discounts, check here)|
|Performance||Has a unique combo brush for picking up pet hair; includes a high-performance filter; larger dirt bin holds more and is easy to empty||Two tangle-free AeroForce extractors pick up debris and minimize hair tangles; sealed channel draws in more debris; has a sealed HEPA-style bin|
|Navigation||Laser-guided technology scans then maps the room; vacuum automatically moves to the next room when finished||iAdapt Responsive Navigation Technology features many sensors and advanced software for superior navigation|
|Battery||Nickel metal hydride battery (NiMH)||iRobot XLife Extended Life Battery for longer cleaning power|
|Features||Works on a variety of floor types; unique blade and brush system designed exclusively for picking up pet hair; aerodynamic design hugs floors and reaches deep into corners||Tangle-free AeroForce extractors pick up dust and dirt without hair tangles; Virtual Wall Lighthouse technology keeps the vacuum in one room until it’s done; cliff-detection technology keeps the vacuum from falling downstairs|
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can the Neato XV Signature Pro clean wet spots?
It is recommended to keep your Neato XV Signature Pro away from any liquid or wet areas. Otherwise, the electronic system of the robot can suffer serious damage.
Does cat riding deplete the battery faster or diminish cleaning effectiveness?
Should I Buy Now or Wait?
If you don’t need the superior cleaning technology you can save a bit of money by opting for less expensive models from each manufacturer.
However, if you need to clean up after pets or are trying to make your house allergy-free, both models are worth a close look.
In terms of performance, the Neato and Roomba are very similar. Each vacuum comes with a powerful brush and suction technology and does a good job of preventing hair tangles.
However, the Neato’s innovative D-shape design helps it get into tougher edges and corners that the Roomba 880 may not be able to reach.
If you’re considering a robot vacuum cleaner based on features then the iRobot Roomba 880 is a better choice (pricing differences aside).
The vacuum cleaner comes with technology such as cliff detection to help it avoid falling down stairs along with a virtual wall technology that keeps it in one place until it’s done cleaning and will prevent it from venturing into
Plus, adding virtual walls means you can expand the max cleaning capacity as you need.
Roomba or Neato? Check out our complete comparison here!