Pet cameras allow you to see and sometimes interact with your pets when you are far away. This helps you check in on your furry friend when you are out of the house and get a glimpse of them when you miss them. One of the pet cameras available in the market now is the PetChatz HD.
Should you buy it? Read more in this Petchatz review and see if you will be getting your money’s worth.
Contents (Jump to)
- 1 Features of the PetChatz Cam
- 2 What’s in the box?
- 3 Other accessories for the PetChatz HD
- 4 Alternatives: Petzi vs Pawbo vs Furbo
- 5 Is PetChatz HD worth the Price?
Features of the PetChatz Cam
PetChatz HD gives you the following features:
- Check in anytime, anywhere. You can check on your pets from anywhere in the world. That way you can see them when you miss them even without going home.
- HD camera. PetChatz HD uses a low-light high-definition camera, which guarantees that you can see your pet clearly even when the curtains are drawn or even in low light conditions. The HD camera gives you videos with resolutions of 1280 pixels x 720 pixels. The HD resolution is complemented by a 30-fps frame rate.
- Two-way communication. PetChatz has a microphone and speaker that allows you to talk to your furry friends while hearing them, too. PetChatz HD also includes a small screen on its surface, making it possible for your pets to see you as well.
- Call your pet to the camera with a special ringtone. You can press a ringtone button on the mobile app to call your pet.
- Dispense pet treats. You can give your pets a treat with just one click. This is a good way for you to train them to come within the camera’s range when you call them.
- Calming scent. If you have pets that get easily anxious, you can give them a spray of “PetChatz Scentz,” which is a calming scent that helps them relax.
- Recording. You can record an HD video just by pressing the camera button on the mobile app.
- Motion Detection and sound sensors. The PetChatz camera comes with a motion detector and sound sensor that will alert you if there is any movement or noise at home. If these features are activated, you will receive a notification on your phone. These sensors have a range of eight feet and cover an angle of 54 degrees.
- Web and smartphone access. You can view your video stream on your desktop computer or on smartphone.
- Pet safe design. PetChatz uses a design that is guaranteed to be safe for you and your pets. There are no sharp edges and corners and it does not have cords that your dogs can chew.
- Easy installation. Installing your PetChatz HD unit is very easy. All you need to do is to find an available outlet, turn off the electricity at the fusebox, and then install the mounting bracket over the power outlet and screw it in. After that, you can easily mount the PetChatz HD on the mounting bracket. You can also install the PetChatz HD on the kennel door.
- Your pets can call you. With the PawCall accessory, your pets can press a button to call you when they miss you.
What’s in the box?
Each PetChatz package comes with the PetChatz HD camera, the USB power supply, and everything you need to install it, including:
- 1 mounting bracket
- 3 mounting bracket screws
- Wall mount installation hardware: including 3 pieces of 2” wood screws, a drywall anchor, and the drywall anchor screw.
Then you have the extras such as the treat hopper, a package of PetChatz Treatz, a PetChatz Treatz cup, a vial of PetChatz Scentz Essential Oil Drops, and the PetChatz Scentz pads.
Other accessories for the PetChatz HD
The PetChatz HD unit is available for $379.99 at the manufacturer’s website (but check this listing for the latest), and it comes with the free Treatz and Scentz. You can replenish your Treatz for $34, and the pack lasts for three months with around 900 pieces of treats. Meanwhile the Scentz is only $20 for every 10 ml bottle, and the Scentz pads come in packs of 10 for only $8 per pack.
You also need to buy the PawCall separately (see here) to allow your pets to call you. If you do not want to mount it on the wall, you can buy the PetChatz Stand for $60. And if you have a pet that ends up licking the PetChatz units or biting on it, you can get the PetChatz Guard.
What’s to like about PetChatz HD
- Low Level Notification: The PetChatz treat dispenser has a low level indicator that notifies you when it is time to replenish the treats.
- Flexible Placement: You can be flexible about where you put the PetChatz HD unit. While it is recommended to put it over an existing power outlet so that there are no exposed wires, you can put it anywhere you want, even on the kennel door.
- Works as Advertised: The manufacturers have also made good on their promise to help you give your pets holistic care when you are not home. You can calm them with the Scentz, give them a treat, or soothe them with your voice. The game mode also allows you to play with your pets even while you are far away.
- Unique Healthy Treats: The PetChatz Treatz has been specially formulated to be healthy for your pets and does not contain wheat, grain, corn, and other fillers added to it.
PetChatz HD: Areas for improvement
- Not Necessarily Compatible with Other Treats: The PetChatz treat cup is specifically designed for the Treatz. As such, if your pets do not like PetChatz Treatz for some reason and you use other treats, it may clog the dispenser and even damage it. Damage from using other treats will void your one-year warranty.
- Can Become Clogged: Even when using the provided treats, there is a chance that the dispenser would get clogged. There are also instances when no treats are dispensed. Meanwhile, in other instances, two treats are dispensed. When this happens, you would need to be at home and physically push down the dispenser button to correct it. So, if you are away from home, you cannot correct this.
- Still a Pricey Investment: Also, you might be turned off by the expensive price tag. The unit itself is close to $400 (check here for the best prices) and you have to spend more to replenish the treats, scents, and scent pads over time.
- No Photo Feature: Lastly, PetChatz HD only allows you to record videos of your pets, but it does not allow you to capture a photo.
Alternatives: Petzi vs Pawbo vs Furbo
PetChatz HD is a pet treat dispenser and camera that allows you to also spray a calming scent for your pets. This gives you a holistic experience that helps your pet feel like you are home when you are not. However, before you buy, check out how other pet cameras compare to the PetChatz.
Side by side comparison:
|Petzi Treat Cam||Pawbo+ Pet Cam||Furbo Pet Cam||PetChatz HD|
|Dimensions (in inches)||7.3 x 4.5 x 3.3||4.4 x 4.4 x 7.9||5.9 x 4.7 x 8.9||4.0 x 7.0 x 11.0|
|For use with dogs and cats||X||X||X||X|
|Pet can start communication||With PawCall|
|Motion and sound alerts||X||X|
|Night vision camera||Low light||X||Low light|
|Wide angle camera||X||X||X||X|
|IoS and Android app||X||X||X||X|
|Price||Check here||Check here||Check here||Check here|
Analysis of the Competition
All of these pet cameras are good for cats and dogs and they all have Wi-Fi support. They can dispense treats, they have a wide camera angle, and they have mobile apps ready for iOS and Android devices. They also have cameras with resolutions of 720 pixels.
If you like the flexibility, get a Petzi Treat Cam, Furbo Pet Cam or a Pawbo+ Pet Cam as you do not need to mount them on the wall. You can, however, get a PetChatz Stand if you want to move your PetChatz HD around, but you would need to spend more for it.
Pawbo+, Furbo and PetChatz all allow you and your pet to hear each other. With the Petzi Treat Cam, you cannot hear your pets at all.
If you like to record videos and capture photos of your pets, choose Pawbo+ or Furbo. PetChatz does not have the ability to capture photos, only videos. Meanwhile, Petzi Treat Cam only takes snapshots but does not have the ability to record videos.
You can play games only with PetChatz and Pawbo+, while only Furbo has true infrared night vision. Both PetChatz and Petzi have low-light cameras, while Pawbo is only usable in well-lit areas.
Only PetChatz has the comfort scent feature. And while you might have to buy an additional accessory, PetChatz HD has the ability to allow your pets to call you. It is a nifty feature to have.
Lastly, only PetChatz allows you to control your pet camera and dispenser using a laptop or desktop computer.
More options for your needs
If you are looking for a pet camera that does not dispense treats, then check out PetCube Interactive Pet Camera, which allows you to listen and talk to your pets, capture photos, and see what your pets are up to using your smartphone. PetCube is considerably less here and comes in three colors: matte silver, carbon black, and rose gold. This is perfect if you want to monitor every room in the house and buying several PetChatz HD would not prove to be practical.
Now if you only want to make sure that your pets are fed while you are away, get the Petnet SmartFeeder, which allows you to dispense your pet’s food using your smartphone. Petnet SmartFeeder is available for a more affordable price here.
Is PetChatz HD worth the Price?
All other pet cameras that dispense pet treats are available for less than $200. In fact, if you do not buy PetChatz HD, you could buy two Petzi Treat Cams or Furbo Pet Cams with change to spare.
However, PetChatz HD really stands out in terms of the features it offers. From having a great camera that delivers HD video to the comforting scent, motion alerts, sound alerts, two-way communication, interactive game, and two-way video live streaming, all of these make it worth your money. What’s more, PetChatz HD has several unique features that you cannot find anywhere else.
You might want to consider any one of the other pet cameras if you are on a tighter budget, or if you do not see the need for the unique features you can find with PetChatz.