SwagTron is fast becoming the brand to beat when it comes to hoverboards. Its first hoverboard, the SwagTron T1, is listed as one of the best hoverboards to buy. It is highly rated for its sound construction, looks, and UL 2272 certification.
Not too soon after the SwagTron T3. And just recently, the company unveiled the SwagTron T5. So how does the SwagTron T5 compare with the original?
Special Holiday Pricing Notice: In case you missed it, the Swagtron T1 is available here. That’s a record low for this hoverboard.
Contents (Jump to)
- 1 The Main Differences Between T1 vs T5
- 2 About the SwagTron T1
- 3 Final say on the SwagTron T1
- 4 SwagTron T5
- 5 SwagTron T1 vs T5 Features Comparison
- 6 Final say about the SwagTron T5
- 7 Which to Buy?
The Main Differences Between T1 vs T5
The Main Differences Between Swagtron T1 vs T5 are:
- Swagtron T1 offers a higher rated wattage level, whereas T5 lets you use onboard speakers.
- Swagtron T1 has a higher speed, whereas T5 is less expensive.
- Swagtron T1 comes with more colour options, whereas T5 only comes in white or black.
About the SwagTron T1
The SwagTron T1 is an affordable hoverboard that is at par with the best hoverboards available today.
SwagTron T1 was one of the first hoverboards to get a UL 2272 certification. After reports of hoverboards suddenly catching fire resulting in property damage and injuries, the hoverboard craze pretty much fizzled out.
But with the UL 2272 certification, users are assured that the materials and construction of certified hoverboards follow strict requirements and standards. What this means is that you can be sure that the hoverboard, or any component used in it, will not accidentally catch fire.
As such, the SwagTron T1 uses a hard plastic body that is fire-resistant and durable. However, it is very important to remind users that they would still need to put on their safety gear and practice care when riding the T1.
Some of the features you find on the T1 include:
- Dual motors. The SwagTron T1 uses 250-watt dual motors to power it. Each wheel has a motor that propels it to a top speed of 8 miles per hour.
- Max Load. The SwagTron T1 can accommodate up to 220 lbs of weight, making it ideal for most adults.
- Sentryshield Multilayer Battery Protection. The battery you find on the SwagTron T1 is placed inside a fire-resistant chamber, making it extra safe. This design is patented by the company, so it is safe to say that this is exclusive to SwagTron hoverboards.
- Two riding modes. The SwagTron T1 has two riding modes. Learning mode allows beginners to learn how to ride while limiting the top speed to only four miles per hour. You will not have to worry about the T1 going too fast until you are ready. At slow speeds, you can learn how to maneuver and balance on the hoverboard. Then you have the standard mode, which allows your T1 to reach top speeds of eight miles per hour.
- Available in six colors. The SwagTron T1 wants you to color match your swag by offering six different color choices: gold, black, blue, dark red, pink, and white.
- Safety Features: The Swagtron T1 has extra features such as a battery indicator, led headlights and a rubber bumper.
Pros of the SwagTron T1
- One of the First UL Certified: The SwagTron T1 came at a time when people were slowly turning away from hoverboards because of exploding units that cause fire and injuries. Yet with its UL 2272 certification, it was one of the first hoverboards that could guarantee safety as far as the make and electronics of the device are concerned. At its price, it gives people a more affordable yet very safe option. Plus, the T1 offers a lot of the same features and functionality that you could find on more expensive brands.
- Easy to Use: The SwagTron T1 is a fun ride and it has a great battery that can easily take you for eight miles before needing a recharge. It is also very easy to ride and very easy to maneuver.
- Strong Customer Service: Another area where SwagTron shines is with its customer service. This is very important since hoverboards are subject to wear and tear very fast, and being worth hundreds of dollars, they are a sizable investment. The SwagTron T1 comes with a one-year limited warranty and customer service is very responsive to technical questions.
- Durable Construction: The SwagTron T1 is also very resistant to bumps and scratches. You can use it extensively and you would find minimal scratches on the hard plastic body.
- Strong Battery Life: Lastly, one of the things you would love about the T1 is its battery life. On smooth surfaces, you can go for eight miles on a single full charge and it only takes a maximum of 1.5 hours to fully recharge the battery.
Cons to Consider
While the SwagTron T1 has no problems with smooth and paved surfaces, performance struggled on rough roads. This puts a damper on the T1 as its performance largely depends on the terrain. The T1 has problems going up steep inclines or running on grass, dirt roads, cracked pavements, and uneven paths.
How big are the wheels?
The wheels are 6.5 inches.
What kind of battery?
One Lithium-ion battery.
Final say on the SwagTron T1
The SwagTron T1 is a great buy as far as hoverboards go. It is affordable, safe, and easy to maneuver, while also giving you a great performance on flat surfaces. It does away with the fluff yet still offers a fun hoverboard riding experience.
What’s more, it has an exceptional battery life and great customer support. Definitely one of the best boards for those who are working with a tight budget but want to put a premium on quality.
SwagTron T5 (full review here!) is another UL 2272-certified hoverboard and it uses the same patented Sentryshield Multilayer Battery Protection that you see on the SwagTron T1. The T5 also has the learning and standard riding modes, but you would love it that the T5 is cheaper than the T1.
There are understandably some sacrifices for the lower price tag. For one, the T5 only has a 200-watt motor for each wheel, giving it enough power to attain a top speed of 7 miles per hour. This means it is a bit slower than the T1’s top speed of 8 miles per hour. One full charge is enough for you to travel 7 miles, which is five miles shorter than the range you get from riding the T1. Also, the T5 can only accommodate a rider weighing up to 187 lbs.
Furthermore, the SwagTron T5 is only available in black or white. This should not be a problem because these are the two most popular colors anyway.
Perfect for kids?
It may seem that the SwagTron T5 is a stripped-down version of the T1, but all of these hoverboard design and functionality decisions make sense if you think about giving it to kids. The slower top speed will ensure that children riding the T5 will not be speeding too much then end up getting seriously hurt in the off-chance that they have an accident.
What’s more, the learning mode would help beginners and children get the hang of the hoverboard. It would be a great way to train your kids how to ride the hoverboard and how to manage sharp turns as well as how to maneuver it properly. The SwagTron T5 also weighs lighter than the 22-lb SwagTron T1. At only 18 lbs, the T5 is the more portable hoverboard for kids.
“So far my two boys are loving their hoverboards! Good speed, fast charging. Wheels seem sturdy, we will see how they do once winter is over and they can start riding them outside instead of just in the house.” Monica W., Amazon
“No problems…just fun. Bought this model 2 years ago. Runs great.” CA, Amazon
The differences between the SwagTron T1 and the T5 are summarized below:
SwagTron T1 vs T5 Features Comparison
|Price||Check here for latest||Check here for latest|
|Rated wattage (watts)||250||200|
|Max speed (mph)||8||7|
|Weight Limit (lbs.)||220||187|
|UL 2272 certification||Yes||Yes|
|Sentryshield Multilayer Battery Protection||Yes||Yes|
|Standard riding mode||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced riding experience mode||No||No|
|Built-in Bluetooth Speaker||No||No|
|Available colors||6: Gold, Black, Blue, Dark Red, Pink, White||2: Black, White|
Final say about the SwagTron T5
If you are looking for a capable hoverboard that is fun and safe, then you should check out the Swagron T5. It is perfect for beginners and kids, but even ordinary adult users will have fun with it. This is also great for the budget-conscious who want to save on a hover board without trading off quality, safety and performance.
Which to Buy?
A comparison between the SwagTron T1 and the T5 would not be complete without mentioning the SwagTron T3.
The T3 has basically the same performance statistics, safety certification and durability as the SwagTron T5, but what sets it apart from both the T1 and T5 are the Bluetooth features that allow you to play music using the onboard speakers and to pair it with your mobile device for extra features and functionality. The T3 also comes with a third riding mode: the Advanced mode. It is, however, more expensive than the T1.
Both the SwagTron T1 and T5 are good hoverboards to consider if you want to buy something durable, safe, and fun.
Budget Choice: In the end, you can choose a more affordable T5 with the slightly slower top speed and shorter range that might be ideal for kids.
Peak Performance: Or you can get top performance from the T1 by paying slightly more.
Patrick Sinclair is a geek; make no mistake about that. He runs All Home Robotics in his spare time so he doesn’t have to think about his depressing cubicle and it gives him an excuse to buy expensive gadgets to review!