Last Updated on by
Hanks to the growing popularity of robot vacuums, there are now a lot of robot vacuum brands and models to choose from.
And that is a good thing because it encourages each brand to offer something new while also bringing the prices down. One of the noteworthy robot vacuums coming out right now is the Ecovacs Deebot N78.
The Ecovacs Deebot N78 positions itself as the best robot vacuum for those who have pets and have to constantly clean pet dander and hair. With a beautiful exterior and a powerful technology, how exactly does the Ecovacs Deebot N78 work?
Contents (Jump to)
Features of the Ecovacs Deebot N78
Here are the features that you could expect from the Ecovacs Deebot N78:
- No tangles. The Ecovacs Deebot N78 can clean human and pet hair without you having to deal with tangles on the brush. It will send hair and dust straight into the dustbin.
- Smart Motion. The Ecovacs Deebot N78 uses its own Smart Motion technology to give your floor multiple cleaning passes rather than just randomly moving around. The multiple passes will ensure that your floor is totally covered and no spots are left dirty.
- Quiet. The powerful motor can clean your floors thoroughly but quietly, registering a noise level of only 56 decibels. That means that the Ecovacs Deebot N78 allows you to hear each other while you are having a normal conversation.
- Cleaning modes. You can choose from three cleaning modes with the Ecovacs Deebot N78. The Auto cleaning mode ensures total coverage of your floors, while the spot cleaning mode pays special attention to the dirtier areas of your floor and is perfect for spills. The edge cleaning mode, on the other hand, directs the robot vacuum to follow your walls and clean the edges thoroughly.
- Hassle-free operation and maintenance. The Ecovacs Deebot N78 is very easy to use. All you have to do is to push one button for it to start cleaning. You can also easily maintain everything with the use of a few tools. Plus, you can wash the filter and the dustbin in running water.
- High-efficiency filter. The Ecovacs Deebot N78 uses a highly efficient filter that could trap pollen, dirt, dust, pet dander, and dust mites and then send them into the dustbin. This means that you do not have to breathe in all of these harmful air particles!
- Self-adjusting wheels. The Deebot N78 uses floating driving wheels, allowing it to easily navigate floors with uneven surfaces. This makes the robot vacuum very effective when cleaning wooden floors, short-pile carpets, or even textured floors.
- Sensors. The robot vacuum uses anti-drop sensors to avoid falling down the stairs. When it detects a drop-off point, it will immediately reverse and adjust its cleaning path. Also, the Ecovacs Deebot N78 uses obstacle detection sensors to ensure that it does not bump into furniture, walls, and other obstacles. Instead, the robot vacuum will just move around these obstacles and continue cleaning.
- Automatic recharging. The Deebot N78 will find its way back to its base once the battery runs low, allowing it to automatically recharge itself.
- Remote control. The Ecovacs Deebot N78 comes with a separate remote controller that allows you to operate the robot vacuum without having to bend over. You can also use the remote controller to manually run the robot vacuum where you want it to go.
- Scheduling. With the Ecovacs Deebot N78, you can set a schedule for it to clean on its own. Now you can have it clean your home while you are away or at just about any time of the day. When the scheduled time comes, the robot vacuum will go off its dock and start cleaning by itself.
The Ecovacs Deebot N78 has a round form factor that measures 13.9 inches in diameter. That means it can cover a big area with each pass. It also has a height of 3.27 inches, allowing it to go under most furniture and clean the floor underneath.
What’s in the box
- Ecovacs Deebot N78
- Remote control
- Charging Dock
- 4 side brushes
- Instruction Manual
- Replacement filter
- Quick start guide
What you would like about the Ecovacs Deebot N78
When in spot-cleaning mode, the will spiral around the same area for 2 to 5 minutes. This ensures that the dirty spot would be thoroughly cleaned.
The robot vacuum runs at a speed of 0.26 meters per second and it can run for up to 110 minutes on a single full charge, which is enough run time to fill up its 0.5 liter dustbin.
What’s more, the Ecovacs Deebot N78 does not have a main brush as it relies on its powerful suction and its side brushes to clean. This means that you will no longer have to worry about pet hair getting stuck and tangled on the brush’s bristles.
The Ecovacs Deebot N78 is a very powerful robot vacuum that is surprisingly very affordable. It currently retails for $180 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
What could be better
The Ecovacs Deebot N78 does not have any dust sensors, so, unlike other robot vacuums, it cannot find dirtier areas to give them more attention. While it can recharge itself automatically, it does not automatically resume cleaning.
This means that if its battery runs out in the middle of a cleaning session and it needs to return to its charging dock, it will not pick up where it left off and finish the cleaning once it is already fully charged.
Moreover, the charging time is quite long, taking around 4 hours to 5 hours to completely charge, while running time is less than 2 hours.
Speaking of running time, you should be aware that the Ecovacs Deebot N78 uses a nickel metal hydride 3000mAh battery. Most of the new powerful robot vacuums now use the lithium-ion battery, which lasts longer.
Furthermore, the Deebot N78 does not come with any virtual wall that keeps it contained inside the room it is cleaning, or that keeps it away from a room that you do not want it to clean.Also, the Ecovacs Deebot N79 does not have any kind of display.
If it encounters an error, you would need to listen to the beep. A single beep means that the driving wheel got tangled, while three beeps mean that the driving wheel might need to be replaced. There are also problems that are signaled by anywhere from four to seven beeps.
This means that you should be there when the Deebot N78 encounters a problem, then count the number of beeps it makes and then consults the user manual as to what these beeps mean.
This is not necessarily an easy way to troubleshoot the robot vacuum should it encounter any problem.
Before you buy the Ecovacs Deebot N78
If you are used to using Roombas to clean your floors, you will probably find it weird that the Ecovacs Deebot N78 does not have a main brush or the Roomba’s rubber debris extractors.
Nevertheless, the side brushes and the Deebot N78’s smart navigation technology ensure thoroughness and efficiency when cleaning.
There is not much to be said about the Ecovacs Deebot N78’s value for money. At less than $200, it is certainly an attractive price point, especially for those who are struggling with pet hair at home.
It might have a NiMH battery and a filter that is not HEPA, but these are understandable tradeoffs. At its price, the Deebot N78 is already a great buy.
You should be aware, though, that there are several other robot vacuums that are under $200. These are:
- ILIFE A4 Robot Vacuum Cleaner, which has the main brush, side brushes, and a powerful vacuum. This is perfect for those who are looking for a Roomba alternative or are thinking that the lack of the main brush is a negative for the Deebot N78. This robot vacuum retails for $199 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
- The Hoover BH70700 Quest 700, which is Bluetooth-enabled and comes with a companion app that you could use in order to control your robot vacuum. However, it may be prone to get stuck when it cleans. This robot vacuum sells for $196 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
- Junior bObsweep, which takes the essential features found on bigger and more expensive bobsweep robot vacuums. It may be small, but it has a HEPA filter, a main brush, and TurboLift vacuuming technology that can easily suck deep-seated dust in carpets. Junior sells for $199 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
- Rollibot BL618. The Rollibot BL618 sells for $170 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
but has a quiet motor and a HEPA filter. It can mop, sweep, vacuum, as well as provide UV sterilization if you want it. It also comes with a wireless remote that allows you to set up cleaning schedules.
- Haier SWR-T321 Pathfinder, which is a mopping and sweeping robot that can clean around 18 sq. m. of space in a single charge that lasts for 90 minutes. Like the Deebot N78, it does not have a main brush, but unlike the N78, it is recommended for light to moderate cleaning. It sells for $139.85 (For the latest prices and discounts, check here)
Final recommendations on the Ecovacs Deebot N78
Costing only $180, is a quiet and powerful robot that does not need too much maintenance. With its powerful motor and side brushes, it can easily keep your floor clean and rid it of pet hair and dander. It gets the job done, and this compensates for the NiMH battery, the non-HEPA filter, and lack of virtual walls.
Patrick Sinclair is a geek; make no mistake about that. He runs All Home Robotics in his spare time so he doesn’t have to think about his depressing cubicle and it gives him an excuse to buy expensive gadgets to review!