There are people who love their pets as much as parents love their children. Missing their pets while they are at work or on vacation is a real thing for pet lovers.
Fortunately, there are now pet cameras that not only allow pet lovers to check in on their pets, but also allow them to give their pets a treat, to interact with them, or to play with them.
One of the many pet cameras that you can get is the Petcube Bites.
Contents (Jump to)
Petcube Bites has a brushed aluminum base that makes it look elegant and expensive. If that is not enough, there are three colors to choose from: matte silver, rose gold, and carbon black. It also features a treats container that is detachable and washable.
The device measures 7 inches wide by 3 inches deep, and it stands 12 inches tall. It weighs 3.5 pounds and comes with holes at the back, making it possible to mount the camera on walls.
Petcube Bites has features that allow it to:
- Dispense treats. The Petcube Bites has a treat dispenser container that can hold up to 100 treats and can fling them at different distances. The treats can be flung as far as six feet away. You can either schedule when the treats are to be dispensed, or you can fling one whenever you want to. You can also manage how much treats you want to give your pets.
- Indicate when treat container needs refill. The treat container has a level sensor that tells you when the treats are running out. You do not have to constantly check anymore since you get alerted when it is time to replenish the treats.
- Integrate with Amazon Dash Replenishment Service. You can also use the Amazon Dash Replenishment Service to make sure that there is enough treats at home for your pets. When the Petcube Bites senses that the treat level is low, it can place an order with Amazon to have your pet’s favorite treats delivered right to your doorstep.
- Give you footage via HD camera. The Petcube Bites uses a 1080-pixel HD camera that has a wide field of view at 138 degrees. The camera can see things clearly at night or in low light conditions. Additionally, the camera has a 3x digital zoom capability.
- Provide two-way audio. The Petcube Bites allows you to hear things at home. You can also call your pet to the treat cam and be notified with sound-activated alerts.
- Play games. With Petcube Bites, you do not only see or hear your pets, you can also play with them. Keep your dogs and cats healthy and fit when you play a laser game with them.
- Petcube mobile app. The Petcube mobile app allows you to see the live video feeds anytime you want. The interface is pretty intuitive. On the live stream, there are several icons that allow you to fling treats, take a photo, record a video, or start a Facebook live stream. You can also use the app to talk to or listen in on your pets. You can play a laser game with your pets thru the app, too. In game mode, you can control a laser light using your finger. Just move your finger around the live video feed and the laser will follow it around. You would also love the added features of the mobile app. For one, you can browse through galleries of dog and cat photos, or follow celebrity pets. There is also an option to make your feed public, so people can also check in and play with your pets.
- Secure your home. The Petcube Bites is not just for keeping an eye on your pets. It doubles as a home security camera, too, with both motion and sound detection. When movement or noise is picked up by the treat cam, it will automatically record a video that you can review later on. You can enjoy four hours of video recording in the cloud for free, or get up to 30 days of recordings with a subscription to the Petcube Care service.
- Share your videos with friends and family. You can choose to let your friends access the video feeds or look in on your house using the Petcube Bites camera.
Moreover, the Petcube Bites is easy to install and maintain. It is ready to use coming out of the box. You can connect it to your Android or iOS device in order to operate it. The treat container is detachable, so you can just put it in the dishwasher when it’s time to clean it.
You also have the option to mount the Petcube Bites on the wall. The package includes an easy-to-install wall mounting kit.
Meanwhile, if you are paranoid about hackers and outsiders using your Petcube Bites to spy on you, you can put your worries to rest. The Petcube Bites uses 128-bit encryption and transfers videos and photos with secure data transfer
What’s in the box?
- Petcube Bites
- Power cord
- AC power adapter
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall mounting kit
|Camera resolution||1080 pixels|
|Field of view||138°|
|Bluetooth Low Energy||Yes|
|Dimensions (inches)||7 x 3 x 12|
What you would like about Petcube Bites
It is very easy to find space for the Petcube Bites. The device is pretty compact and can easily fit anywhere in your kitchen or living room. You do not even have to put it on the floor since you can easily mount it on walls.
Just make sure that the camera’s view is maximized so that there are no dead spots for your videos. Furthermore, the Petcube Bites is designed to match any decor, so you could put it just about anywhere.
The treat dispenser can fling treats on schedule, which means you can be sure that your pets feel loved even when you are too busy to play with them or to dispense the treats yourself. If you prefer, you can also have it fling a treat
This is very useful in certain situations, such as when you check in and interact with your pet and it performs the tricks you are asking for. You can then fling a treat even when you are miles away.
When we say that the Petcube Bites is easy to install, we were not exaggerating. If you have set up a home security camera before, you should be able to set up the Petcube Bites with no problem.
You only need to take it out of the box, place it where you want it, connect it to your Wi-Fi network, and then start using the mobile app to operate it.
In sum, the Petcube Bites does its job really well. It makes it possible to play with your pets even when you are far away. It secures your home and gives you peace of mind where your pets are concerned.
The video quality is good, letting you see things without having to figure out what’s going on. You get motion alerts right on your smartphone, too, and these alerts may be turned off if you are in a meeting.
What could be better
The Petcube Care cloud video recording service is not free. You can get either a 10-day video history subscription for $100 a year or a 30-day history subscription for $300 annually. If you do not subscribe, you can still have four hours of video history stored in the cloud for free.
Furthermore, the camera is activated by motion. This means that anything – from your pets walking by to you getting something from the kitchen – will be recorded. You cannot delete these videos by batch.
If you are home, you can just set the camera into sleep mode so that it does not record anything while you are around.
Petcute Bites sells for $229 at the manufacturer’s online store. Many people might balk at the price because it is more expensive than most pet cameras out there, such as the Petzi Treat Camera, which sells for $170.
However, while the Petzi Treat Camera looks like a cheap plastic tissue dispenser, the Petcube Bites look more elegant, something that you would not be embarrassed to be displayed in your living room. Petcubes Bites also has a better camera.
Petcube Bites: Final recommendation
You could not go wrong with the Petcube Bites, both in terms of function and looks. It certainly has a better camera that means crisper photos and clearer videos even at night or in low light situations. Pet owners will also find it convenient and useful. It looks great, as well.
Read here about other Petcube products:
Patrick Sinclair is a geek; make no mistake about that. He runs All Home Robotics in his spare time so he doesn’t have to think about his depressing cubicle and it gives him an excuse to buy expensive gadgets to review!